Creative Garden

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Is Snipping The Frenulum Safe? Necessary? Holy?

To Snip, Or Not To Snip, That Is The Question
I have decided to snip3 Votes · 100.00%
I have decided to not snip0 Votes · 0.00%
3 Participants

Hello all, I am interested in pursuing the kechari mudra, it appeals to me deeply, and I want to explore these mysteries.

I am still working on my daily meditation, and the yoni mudra in particular has been effective lately. It is helping to focus my shambhavi a lot, and I feel like I can actually sense a nirodha at my third eye. It's exciting to me!

Anyway, tangent aside. I have a serious question about the kechari mudra. Some places gently recommend snipping the Frenulum, like this website, and AYPsite. Or at least suggest that it is ok to snip. Other places strongly condone snipping, it seems like the Lahira school in particular dissuade this idea.

So I have the specific question. Is it safe? I have read that it is possible to cut veins and hurt myself.

Also, is it necessary to snip? Is it necessary to attain stage 2? Stage 4? Enlightenment?
Lastly, is it unholy to snip the Frenulum? I feel it falls in a similar category as a tattoo or piercing. Except this snip has spiritual utility.

I know @Gerhard has expressed some views in the book, but I am hoping for some more detailed views. And perhaps heading the counter-arguement of the anti-snip camp.

Here is a post that shows some old-school references to the kechari mudra — it is of interest to me that a few of these sources recommend snipping — but none discourage it. I will put those relevant excerpts below.

Hatha Yoga Pradipika — 1350AD

To accomplish this, the tongue is lengthened by cutting the lingual frenulum, moving, and pulling it. When it can touch the space between the eyebrows, then kechari can be accomplished.

Khechari Vidya — Written Around 1350AD

A knower of the Atman, having drawn out the tongue from the root of the palate, should in accordance with the advice of his guru, clear the impurities of the tongue for seven days. He should take a sharp, oiled and cleansed knife which resembles the leaf of the plant Snuhi, the milk-hedge plant, and should cut for the space of a hair, the frenum lingui. He should powder Saindhava or the rock-salt and Pathya or the sea-salt and apply it to that place. On the seventh day, he should again cut for the space of a hair. Thus, with great care, he should continue it always, for the span of six months. The root of the tongue, fixed with veins, ceases to be in six months. Then the yogi who knows timely action should encircle with cloth the tip of the tongue, the abode of Vag-Ishvari or the deity presiding over speech, and should draw it up.

Gheranda Samhita — Written Around 1700AD

The yogi should regularly cut the tendon below the tongue and move the tongue about. He should milk it with fresh butter and pull it with iron tongs. By regular practice in this way, the tongue becomes long. When it reaches between the eyebrows, kechari is perfected. Gently insert the tongue into the base of the palate. When the tongue is turned back into the cavity of the skull and the gaze is directed between the eyebrows, that is kechari mudra.

Overall, I do believe snipping can be done safely, respectfully and in a holy manner that respects our body.

I remember researching this exact same question a few years ago, in regards to Lahira, and I couldn't actually find any reference to him discouraging it. One person mentioned that he read it somewhere in a book (that Lahira discouraged it), but what was the context? Did he mean to discourage for those who were new to spirituality? Was he worried about sanitation? There are many possibilities.

If anyone does disagree with me, then I encourage their thoughtful response 🙂 The most important thing to me is — do NOT snip until you have diligently thought about this topic — it is irreversible. It is your decision alone, and if you don't feel right about snipping, then don't.