Creative Garden

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

My Favourite Bible Chapter — Ecclesiastes 3

There are many beautiful and inspirational verses in the Bible, but Ecclesiastes resonates a deeper bone in my body. A truth known by every cell in the body, yet, forgotten by the mind.

For those who desire beauty, Psalms may be your book of choice — as we explore the highs and lows of life — the emotions that arise when we feel close or far from God. For those who are interested in timeless wisdom for living a good life — Proverbs may your choice. For those interested in the deepest questions of life, your choice may be Ecclesiastes.

To some, Ecclesiastes can feel like a nihilistic book. That is because it asks some very strong questions. We all have to work hard in life; we all have to struggle. Why should we even try? The rich die the same as the poor; the wise pass away the same as the foolish. The king is forgotten the same as the peasant. Why even try? This is not a nihilistic question, but a deep one.

At a deep level, we are asking about the purpose of life. For myself — Ecclesiastes was a seed of death, in a way. I have read the entire Bible, but Ecclesiastes is notably different. The words and questions contained in there, they never left me. The questions, over time, as we ponder them, they kill the drives of the ego. They kill the drives for fame, glory, power, wealth. But in return, you start to uncover the drives of the heart. There is no "cosmic significance" to rescuing a dog from the pound — yet at the same time — there is a huge cosmic significance to that act.

Most of Ecclesiastes challenges the reader, but the answer of life is also contained — and it is here — in Ecclesiastes 3.

There is a time for everything

I love this one:

“I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind.” – Ecclesiastes 1:14

It seems nihilistic at first, but it is actually very liberating. I was walking today near some 100-year-old ruins near the ocean. Everything we do will be brushed aside with time. Our accomplishments are as fleeting as a sandcastle. And that is great! It means we can spend our lives building beautiful sandcastles. Ultimately, I believe that our souls do not forget our successes; our souls remember the triumphs of the heart, and those beautiful moments in our lives. The world, on the contrary, forgets almost immediately.

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.